Closing the Food Gap Follow-up &
South Central PA Food System Alliance Kick-off Meeting
Tuesday, July 10, 2012; 1:00 PM – 4:30 PM
Camp Hill, PA
· 17 organizations were represented, each providing details about their work and impacts upon the South Central PA’s food system.
· Three additional projects were highlighted including:
o York County Food Availability Task Force
o Tri-County Regional Planning Commission’s food system assessment
o Adams County Food Policy Council initiative entitled ‘Healthy Options’
· Details about the data collected during the November 11, Closing the Food Gap symposium about institutional and community focused local food issues was shared and are available at the blog (linked below) or via Cheryl Burns with Capital RC&D.
· The group determined to retain the name of The South Central PA Food System Alliance.
· The group also discussed the importance of ensuring that disadvantaged populations are represented. The group will participate in awareness training during winter 2013 quarterly meeting to be held at Wilson College (date tbd).
· The spring 2013 quarterly meeting will feature a strategic planning session to develop group identity, goals, and action steps.
· The fall 2012 quarterly meeting will be in conjunction with the “Go Local for Health” Regional Health Summit in Gettysburg, PA on September 18, 2012.
· Immediate actions are to develop a comprehensive resource clearinghouse, partner directory and establish appropriate communication channels.
Please visit http://tastethegifts.blogspot.com for more detail about upcoming “Go Local for Health” summit, complete meeting notes for the July SCPA-FSA meeting, or the Nov. 2011 Closing the Food Gap Symposium. Feel free to contact Cheryl Burns, firstname.lastname@example.org or 717-241-4361 with any questions.